+1
2013-04-07 • 6226 views • 38 replies
I've been wondering for a while now, whether or not was a good idea for the Itas Diatec Trentino to give (even just for a year) Sokolov to BreBanca Lannutti Cuneo. Stokr for sure is - in my opinion - one of the best wing spikers in the world, but, could have Sokolov give more to Trento this year? If you just look at the bulgarian big guy performances, he always shines, and above all as long as the attack is concerned, his percentages are huge. In addition to this, I have no doubt that in a couple of years he will be among the first three opposites in the world (Along with M. Mikhaylov and Wallace - once again, it's my opinion).

So what do you think about it? Was it a clever idea to give such a good player to one of the most dangerous opponents in the league?

I think not.

#JanStokr #ItasTrentino #ItalianSerieA1201213 #TsvetanSokolov

Sokolov Or Stokr?
11 years ago
Sokolov already plays for cuneo
Kjeldhor 1059 17
11 years ago
Trentino will play with Stokr at 99% next year, but I don't know if Sokolov is returning home to play as a second opposite or he stay in cuneo another season
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Sokolov will be first opposite in Trentino or he will stay in Cuneo. He should be a starter.
Nagor 1445 14
11 years ago
Hmm i think that Stokr is still a little better, but in several years Cwetan will beat him.
dude 46 3
11 years ago
+2
it's clear. Sokolov is much better! one of the best opposite and very young. He can win important match alone (Poland-Bulgaria at Olympics). Stokr have good games but he plays in dreamteam, in his NT he isn't that scorer like in Trento
Someone 875 10
11 years ago
+1
If I was Trentinos coach I would choose Sokolov. Definitely. Hard to say who's better, but Sokolov is a rising star.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
May be Stokr is better than Sokolov but the latter is outplaying him this season. May be this will change in semifinal, since Stokr gathered a lot of experience in such matches with Trentino, we will see.
RevanExtasis 746 11
11 years ago
+1
Ridiculous Comparison, diferents size, age, nationality or techniques, is like to compare a diamond fish with a gold fish, they are both good, both deserve to be starters, but take off one because the other is doing well or the same when he back home is only bullshit i rarely see stokr missing or playing bad he is like miljkovic or a less popular, he don't have a great NT so his evolution is only made it in Clubs like trento thats my comment thanks to all
NightFox 1457 14
11 years ago
Sokolov first opposite for Trentino next season (he's ready). Stokr will be transfered in Dynamo (Krasnodar) probably.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Sokolov is playing way better than Stokr so far, he scores more, he is more powerful /that means explosive/, his serve is faster, he plays half of the time on MB position and is still top scorer, Ngapeth and Wijsmans don't help that much in attack most of the time /although Wijsmans now is in great shape/, the MB's don't contribute that much in attack and he is still with better stats. Stokr has more stable serve and better defense. The question is can we judge them based on one season? I am not sure. Sokolov is still rising and Stokr is in his prime, and they are in different clubs with different tactics. And Stokr is more experienced in deciding games, although this season Sokolov was stable in all of them so far. Let's judge after the playoffs ?
RevanExtasis 746 11
11 years ago
WTF??? wait a minute just hold on hahahah "the downfall of Juantorena" First to all handan you are a hatter, since Osmany or Osmoney whatever, did that unclose bussiness with zenit everybody hate him, i have to say you dont know shit about Osmany, he have the best reception on that team by far if you dont count the liberos because Kings Matey dont do shit he only knows how to attack a thing that juantorena do it well, second Matey is the captain yes but osmany is the leader of that team by far since 2010, yes is not a good year for osmany but nobody will take is position in trento speak for yourself, he will be back, like all he is human and he play injury the final last year againts macerata and almost win, so maybe i will be wrong but i cannot thrust in nobody except juantorena and Rapha to bring the tittle back to trento.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Matey is receiving more than Osmany this season, Revan, and his serve is doing more damage. I don't think eveybody hates him, or they would hate Zaytsev as well, they are very similar as behaviour. Juantorena is still a world class player, just his serve landed from impossible to fantastic and his reception from above average to average.
Kjeldhor 1059 17
11 years ago
+1
Stokr is better then Sokolov in a team like Trentino cause he can be efficiently with poor number of attack, instead Sokolov need to attack a lot to stay concentrated

this year:
for Trentino: Stokr 523 attacks (Matey 457 and Osmany 394)
for Cuneo: Sokolov 692 (Earvin 450 adn wout 447)

it's like Vissotto, he was a real beast when he came to Trento from Castellana, but in there, where he didn't attack 80% of the setted balls he lost efficacy, i think is the same for Sokolov
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
I haven't noticed such thing, Kjeldhor. When Sokolov appears as sub in Trentino or Bulgarian NT he always scores very efficiently from the start. May be you mean as a starter he is not comfortable if not scoring all the time?
pearl 1003 11
11 years ago
+2
As far as i know, Tsvetan has no intention of going back and being the sub of someone else once he has (successfully) played the whole season. Of course he wants to play for Trento again but only as a first string. As a support of this opinion of mine here is a link with a short interview to Alessandro Antinelli (tv volleyball journalist/commentator - and trust me, this guy knows a lot!!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1PjN_3NkI at 0:58-1:20 he talks about Sokolov's situation and says exactly what I've written before.
Kjeldhor 1059 17
11 years ago
i mean he need to be the main attacker or he lost himself if he don't attack every 2-3 action, otherwise Stokr can be " one of the spiker" and he's ready even if don't attack for a whole set
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Well, from the other side, Sokolov could be like Milijkovic and score all efficiently
RevanExtasis 746 11
11 years ago
like milijkovic -.-' you are kidding right ??? there will be one and only one Ivan"the terrible"Milijkovic, the greatest . how old is sokolov??? 23?? 24 ?? don't be disrespectful, with ivan, when ivan was 24 he already play like a starter and also had won the olympics and the european championship, sokolov is a great oposite but its not the eighth wonder of the world. just saying, you bulgarians, must be proud of matey and nothing else.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Revan, we have a lot to be proud: Hristo Zlatanov, Vladimir Nikolov, Teodor Salparov, Matey Kaziyski and Tsvetan Sokolov. In the past we had Dimiter Zlatanov, Lyubo Ganev, Dimo Tonev, Martin Stoev and a lot others, when Bulgaria teached volleyball to Italy. And Sokolov has scored in the NT since 19 years old, taking a lot of scalps. He has everything to be the best opposite /did you watch the match yesterday?/ if he decides so. What Ivan and all serbian players have in common is their confidence. If he has this confidence, he will have everything he wants.
NightFox 1457 14
11 years ago
raylight is right. Revan please read some history about the bulgarian players and then you can talk with what we must be proud of.
Michal 493 10
11 years ago
+1
Stokr. Still more reliable.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Michal, remember when Sokolov scored 12 pts in the two tiebreaks vs Macerata for CL and brought the victory? Was he then less reliable than Stokr? And considering he is much more productive, is the supposed difference in reliability enough to consider staying with Stokr?
Nagor 1445 14
11 years ago
Raylight, everyone can have own opinion, i know that your opinion is clear and it is like sokolov >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> stokr. But I am sure that Stokr had the same matches or even better than 12 points in tie break. For me, the comparison is not possible. Sokolov is much younger and still have sometimes black holes in own game, Stokr is a lot more experienced. And for me more experienced = more reliable.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Michal, you didn't get the point:

1) Is really Sokolov unreliable and how big is the base of matches to decide that. I gave counterexample.
2) If he is really less reliable, does this is more important than the fact that he is more productive - he scores more with every element?

I don't think Sokolov is the end of all. I just SEE, and don't THINK that he plays better volleyball than Stokr in general /except for reception/ he is much higher in all charts /including best spiker with Wijsmans in CL Final Four, best scorer in all Champions League/ and on top places in all elements in Serie A1 stats. I just question if the reliability is estimated from large enough sample and even if it is correct evaluation is it more important. I haven't decided yet. Have you? This is reasoning, not prejudice. I didn't talk about Sokolov until recently, when he gathered facts in his favor. Like medals, points, MVP's
Michal 493 10
11 years ago

Michal, remember when Sokolov scored 12 pts in the two tiebreaks vs Macerata for CL and brought the victory? Was he then less reliable than Stokr? And considering he is much more productive, is the supposed difference in reliability enough to consider staying with Stokr?

I could just ignore it or say: "Hey raylight did you watch yesterday's semi against Trento, tell me what was the result of Sokolov's productiveness when it didn't meet reliability in the most decisive moments of the 5th set." Still I'll stay with the first option this time, so hush-hush (I didn't quote nor reply this one).

except for reception

You are far too generous when it comes to admitting someone's strong points.

/including best spiker with Wijsmans in CL Final Four

Ignoring gets boring so let me reply this time: Stokr was more efficient than Sokolov during last Italian Cup final, same with World CCH in Doha (who cares Sokolov didn't take part in those). Once again you tend to manipulate facts to make yourself comfortable with your thesis. If you still don't know what I mean try to divide/multiply both sides (Czech and Bulgarian) of the equation by the same number. Keep the balance yet remember volleyball is often something more than math.

RevanExtasis 746 11
11 years ago
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Well, Michal, some things are obvious and in those obvious things Stokr is far behind. I am noт talking only about his smaller numbers and so on, I am talking speed. His spikes are slow motion. He doesn't have big arsenal of hits. He is very strong, very consistent, rarely makes mistakes, knows what the hell is back field play, but he has a limit. Sokolov on the other side is like Kaziyski on steroids - he has great power /that's why he needs to remember his great responsibilities/, strangely or not - better arsenal in attack and is capable of defeating any team alone. He is probably vulnerable in some points of the matches, but my personal opinion, based on the billion points he scores is that a minor fix in his code will make him the perfect choice for an opposite.

When I pointed Sokolov successes it was not to compare with Stokr's, just to point that he has quality. About CL, Sokolov made the stats, because HE pushed his team to the final four, while Stokr didn't. Stokr, Kaziyski, Juantorena didn't do their job helped by the scheme and they landed quickly. Why didn't Stokr won them the golden set? Is he reliable if we can't rely on him to win a set alone? What does "reliable" means depends on the context, my friend

My mathematical theory is that more is more. You score more points without losing efficiency - you drammatically lower the chances for your team to be in situation with too many decisive points which you could potentially screw. Just score 30-50 pts and don't care about your fears of breakpoints in tiebreaks, where everyone can crash, like Milijkovic, Giba, Dante and everybody else, because tiebreaks are so random
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
The more points WITHOUT LOSING EFFICIENCY

A year go I wouldn't think of questioning Stokr's position as first in Trentino, but then he was obviously better

Hanes - Milijkovic?
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Well, he has a habit of winning a match alone
Michal 493 10
11 years ago
+3

Well, Michal, some things are obvious and in those obvious things Stokr is far behind. I am noт talking only about his smaller numbers and so on, I am talking speed. His spikes are slow motion.

I'm talking about reliability and you are pointing some obvious physical features. It's not a secret Sokolov can hit harder, same with Stokr reaching higher. Nevertheless I was talking about overall reliability. Stokr has the main advantage over Sokolov here. Pay attention to their ball control, putting angles in crucial moments, avoiding mistakes. Stokr is not one of those supernatural talents, he came to everything by hard work.

He is very strong, very consistent, rarely makes mistakes

Bingo!

but he has a limit

Everyone has, except for Kaziyski with unlimited spiking. Sorry I had to recall this one.

strangely or not - better arsenal in attack

Better arsenal in attack? Not in it's basic meaning for sure. I suppose you are talking about roll shots or tips in which they both suck.

and is capable of defeating any team alone

Pay attention to the game systems in Trentino and Cuneo. In Trento it's more balanced, usually split between 3 wing spikers. Thel distribution in Cuneo is much different, Grbic always plays a lot with opposites, but still manages to make them avoid hitting against well organized block almost all of the time.

When I pointed Sokolov successes it was not to compare with Stokr's, just to point that he has quality.

Of course he has, that's why this comparison between him and Stokr is possible.

About CL, Sokolov made the stats, because HE pushed his team to the final four, while Stokr didn't. Stokr, Kaziyski, Juantorena didn't do their job helped by the scheme and they landed quickly. Why didn't Stokr won them the golden set? Is he reliable if we can't rely on him to win a set alone? What does "reliable" means depends on the context, my friend

Once again you try to make Sokolov a better opposite than Stokr by pointing this single match over and over again. Stokr had many of those so called solo performances in his career, even though he doesn't have many opportunities to do so because of the game system I mentioned.

My mathematical theory is that more is more. You score more points without losing efficiency - you drammatically lower the chances for your team to be in situation with too many decisive points which you could potentially screw. Just score 30-50 pts and don't care about your fears of breakpoints in tiebreaks, where everyone can crash, like Milijkovic, Giba, Dante and everybody else, because tiebreaks are so random

Great theory, too bad it never meets practice at least in volleyball. It's not football, handball or boxing, doesn't matter how big advantage you make in the beginning you still have to score the last point, can't stay in defence, that's where reliability takes over the control. Of course tie break is sometimes much of a lottery, but keep in mind it's not the only crucial of every match.

NightFox 1457 14
11 years ago
+1
Michal you're wrong. At the moment Sokolov is much more reliable than Stokr. Trentino's attack is not concentrated anywhere - that's wht their spikers are so efficient. Stokr in another team will have even lower % of play, watch his games for his country. And what about Sokolov, he grew up and he was the main hero of the "'weak" team of Bulgaria. With so high % of attack and so many balls concentrated in him. What about Cuneo - he's the main weapon of the team and again he's the most used spiker. For example he is second scorer in Seria A, it's a proof of how many times he have been used by Grbic. So that's why Stoychev decide to use him in the starting six next season. That's why Stokr is going to play in Russia (probably).
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Michal, think again about spiking - increasing spiking efficiency decreases chances to get in tight situations in first place. More is more. Giving extra work to the opposite sets the sidout hitters free for the crucial situations. And Sokolov doesn't fail often in important points, he did his job vs Modena and vs Macerata, that's not unreliable enough for me to compensate for his prolificacy. About Grbic you are right - he is professor in playing with OP's, but still I've seen him putting Sokolov against triple block and/or with slow high ball and Sokolov often managed it. The last time he scored over the triple block of Modena for the match point. https://volleybox.net/tsvetan-sokolov-winning-point-in-cuneo-modena-m7087
Nagor 1445 14
11 years ago
Ok so I can see that most ppl think that NOW Stokr is better than Sokolov. But I will ask you: What do you think, will be Sokolov better in several years than Stokr now?

My opinion - if he will play (PLAY! ? ) in teams like Cuneo and in NT as first OH, yes, he will be better.
Michal 493 10
11 years ago
+1
@Nightfox I think you really don't know what reliability is about. Besides you are trying to compare Czech and Bulgarian NT, which is still despite of personal problems class above. There are/were many world class players that were doomed with their NT, doesn't matter if they shined or not e.g. Soto, Gomez, Veres, Omrcen. Of course Sokolov has bigger potential than Stokr, still he can't be more reliable during his first club season as a starter. Also pay attention to how Kjeldhor characterized Sokolov, that's quite an important matter. He seems to be one of those players who like to get load of sets, without that he loses his rhythm and efficiency (e.g. Grozer), that's why Stokr is a better choice for Trentino. I think that's mainly why he's not a starter there yet, he wouldn't be able to get that much of attention. That's why Grbic is the best setter he could play with to grind his skills. There will be time he'll have to learn some consistency to play as a starter in Trento (maybe next year).

@raylight As I said before, volleyball is something more than math. Of course spiking efficiency is one of the factors that make you give least chances to your opponent, but still he can respond with the same. You simply can't avoid those crucial moments, not in volleyball. So many examples coming out as we speek, just look at the Serie A semis. Look at Fei, he struggled with himself all the match, but what he did in the 5th set- that's the advantage of experience, simply priceless. Stokr also struggled against Cuneo, but his spike became the turning point of this game.

The progress Sokolov's recently made is a milestep, he still needs time though, doesn't matter how many solo performances he made so far.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
He needs time playing as first choice. He should be first choice anywhere except in Belogorie and Kazan, from what he has shown since 2010. It is harmful for him to be benched anymore. He did win matches with crucial points by him, with half of the points in a tiebreak by him. He is not going to be more stable while out of the court. The only bench he should be using is the one in the gym to press 150kgs
Kjeldhor 1059 17
11 years ago
+1
well.. the question is: "Sokolov or Stokr?" or "Sokolov or Stokr in Trento?" cause the answers are probably different
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking