Paul Lotman: Cześć, dzień dobry, k...

blokaut_net 2012-09-01 • 5496 views • 1

Translations: PL
Paul Lotman: Cześć, dzień dobry, k... Few weeks after Olympics, looking back at the tournament what you can say about performance of your team?

Paul Lotman: I think overall we played very well. Everyone was motivated and it was probably the best our team has played in the last 4 years. We took 1st place in a very difficult pool and we were prepared for Italy in the quarterfinals. It was possible for us or Italy to win the 1st set and after we lost this set it was impossible for us to recover. It also gave Italy confidence and they played very well the rest of the match.

Have you seen the final match Brazil - Russia? What do you think about Russian's come back and Alekno's trick?

I actually stopped watching the match at 22-19 for Brazil in the 3rd set because I thought the match was finished. I was shocked when I heard Russia won in 5 sets. I think this move by Alekno definitely changed the game a lot and allowed Russia to take the momentum. If a team has the momentum in their favor it is extremely difficult to get it back and play relaxed and at your level.

Women's US national team was the main favourite to win the gold. Some people were saying only a miracle can stop them from grabbing this medal. And yet, Brazil, who played poorly in the group round was able to win again. Your colleagues didn't play as they used to. What happened in your opinion?

I think they performed very well throughout the tournament and started the match at a very high level. Brazil collected themselves and started to play better and put the pressure on USA. I didn't watch the match so I can't say what exactly happened but I'm sure Brazil deserved to win because they play possibly the best "team" volleyball in the world.

New cycle will bring some changes in the team. Did you have a chance to see young players, who probably will join you in the team? What you can say about young talents in US?

Yes I'm excited to see which players from university are able to make the transition to be professional players. It is not easy for American players to finish university and change their lives so much to live in Europe for 7 months out of the year. There are definitely many young talented players that will join the national team next summer and I am interested to see how they will help our team.

USA Volleyball agreed with Grand Prix Sports to create professional league in USA. What do you think about it? Is it possible that in few years Americans will come back to their country and be able to play there for the same money as in Europe?

I actually spoke with Zbigniew Bartman yesterday about this possibility of a professional league in the USA. I know Grand Prix Sports has invested a lot of time and money into this project and it is my hope that it will succeed within the next few years. Although I love playing in Poland and other countries it would be very nice to be able to live in USA and play professional volleyball. The AVP, our professional beach league, has started to make a comeback so I think it is definitely possible for volleyball to succeed in USA. It will be interesting to see how Grand Prix Sports handles the marketing of volleyball in America and how they will make it appealing to the American public.

Do you believe volleyball has potential to reach the popularity some sports reached with a pro league, such as hockey or soccer? They don't mean as much as basketball or baseball but they are big enough to attract sponsors and get live national TV and bring also some big foreign names.

Yes definitely, it may take several years to accomplish this goal but if there are big sponsors who invest in advertising and TV then I think it is a possibility.

If you could work with any coach or play with any player, who it would be?

Oh wow, interesting question. I would love to be coached by Karch Kiraly and play with either Matt Anderson or Evan Patak because they are my roommates/best friends at home.

How do you feel in Poland apart from volleyball? I want to ask about your impressions as a foreign guy who arrived here and has to live. As someone who lives at the moment abroad I know difference between visiting some place for holidays and live there for few months or even years. What was your first impression after you came here?

It is always difficult to move away from home for 7-8 months out of the year but after playing professionally for 4 year I have gotten used to it. This is actually the first year I have stayed with my club for more than 1 season, every year I have changed clubs and the country I've lived in so it has been both exciting and difficult each season. The people in the club and in Rzeszow were very welcoming and immediately I was comfortable with living in Poland and adjusting to the different lifestyle.

Did anything surprise you in Poland, our culture?

I was surprised with how modern Poland is, as far as fashion, standard of living, food, and daily life... its actually more similar to USA than I thought it would be.

Do you find anything weird or funny in Poland?

I find it strange that the transit system(roads, highways, trains) is so poor in Poland. I understand why but it makes it difficult when we travel as a team.

How do you spend your free time here in Poland?

Many books, movies, tv shows. Grocery shopping and cooking as well, I try and cook most of my meals and not eat out so much.

What polish words do you know?

Cześć, dzień dobry, k... (hi, good morning, k***)

I've had a chance to meet your family during Olympics. How often they visit you here in Poland?

My wife has come one time for 10 days. My mother and sister came once last year during semifinals vs. Zaksa, they really enjoyed seeing Poland and my lifestyle here.

What do you miss the most from your country while you are overseas playing in the club?

My wife, friends, family, and definitely food. I love Asian and Mexican food, 2 things I cannot find in Poland.

What professional play in clubs means for you? Because for example Rich Lambourne admits he plays overseas mostly to keep good form for the season with national team, while guys like Reid Priddy care about titles and want to win Champions League for example.

I definitely enjoy both equally and I can't say one is more important.National team I play for my heart and country so the money is not important to me. Professional play in clubs is important because this is my life for 7-8 months and the club is paying me to play at my highest level possible and give everything I am capable of. Ok I am not Polish so it is different but I train with my teammates every day and they are my good friends, just like national team.

Coming back to last season which moment was the most difficult?

Definitely the loss to SKRA in the semifinals of Polish Cup, we played in Rzeszow and it was disappointing for everyone.

During season main teams define their expectations, like gold or reaching the final. When did you start thinking your team can win PlusLiga? Was it during play-offs or maybe earlier?

Our first goal was to reach the final. When we succeeded in this we knew we could beat SKRA and win the championship. Also I think our difficult matches making it to CEV cup helped a lot in our development as a team to play at a high level every match.

You and your teammates stopped Skra's domination. Now the pressure of the champion is on you. How is the atmosphere in the team before season start?

Very good, last year this team had very high expectations to win something and this year it will be the same. We have some new players but I think the transition will be easy for them and us because we know our goals for this season and will do everything to accomplish them. Our preparations started this week and already the team looks very good, we will have even more depth than we did last year, which will help us through Champions league and the playoffs.

Victory in the league gave your team 'ticket' to Champions League. Last season you reached the final of CEV's Cup. Now, with new players, what you can do in Champions League? Do you have a chance to get to final and face best Russian and Italian teams?

I think this team is very good about not getting ahead of ourselves, we know what we are capable of and really focus on taking one match at a time. If we look to far into the future its possible that we make mistakes and not reach our full potential.

For your coach, Andrzej Kowal, this season finished with the best scenario as for guy who is starting his career. How you can describe his methods of coaching?

I was impressed with Andrzej's focus and composure during the playoffs of CEV and plus liga. He deserves much praise for the success our team had last season.

You are usually calm during the game and as your family mentioned me, it takes a time for you to open to other people. But fans in Rzeszow love you and even if for some of them it took a while to receive you well (as it's normal with new players in the teams) your great performances, moments we could notice in TV during the matches of play-off phase helped them to accept you. What was the nicest thing you experienced from fans in Rzeszow?

I think this is one of the greatest parts about playing in Poland, the fans really do love volleyball. They know the game so well and the level of play is so high that they expect a good performance every match. I try to not be so critical with myself and just relax and play, sometimes it is difficult with the pressure we get from fans but it definitely motivates me to be the best I am capable of. The nicest thing I experienced from the fans was their appreciation for winning the championship and beating SKRA. I didn't realize how much it meant to the fans and the city of Rzeszow until I saw 15,000 or even more people in the city center of Rzeszow after we won. That was a great experience for me.

What do you think about style of cheering for the team in Poland? One of the polish actors criticised Polish fans in London for whistling during match Poland vs. Russia. This is something you won't see at the matches of US team and this is something you can see in Rzeszow at every match. Do you have any feeling or opinion about it?

I love it, I wish our fans were more like Polish fans. When we play in Chicago for World league against Poland its like we are playing somewhere in Poland and not USA, its really amazing to me.

Spending lots of time with your teammates, at the practise, during travelling etc I bet you make some jokes to each other in both Resovia and national team. What was the funniest joke your team-mates made to you?

I can't remember a funniest joke someone made to me but there are definitely a lot of funny things that happen outside of volleyball, when we can relax, have some drinks, and be ourselves.

Matt Anderson told me you are his best friend in national team. Who is your best friend here in Resovia?

I get along really well with all the guys. I probably spend the most time outside volleyball with Ignaczak, he loves to talk and make jokes so its easy to be friends with him.

Three things that make volleyball better than the other sports?

The speed, defense, and fans.

Tell us at the end what makes Resovia better than the other teams in PlusLiga?

We have the loudest fans of any team and I think this makes it so difficult to play in Podpromie (Resovia's hall).

Source: http://www.blokaut.net

#PaulLotman #AssecoResoviaRzeszow

1 comment

Wilfredo_is_MarshallRS 4186 20
11 years ago
+1
"We have the loudest fans of any team" I definitely agree with that one!
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking