"In our Volleyball Temple everything is possible"

Volleybox 2015-03-23 • 1448 views

"In our Volleyball Temple everything is possible"

Berlin Volleys Manager Kaweh Niroomand has been pulling strings for the German champion since 1991 and has been pushing on the club´s development unlike any other. His bold dreams have become reality by now and the 2015 CEV DenizBank Champions League Final Four from March 28-29 at Berlin´s Max-Schmeling-Halle marks the highlight of a long journey so far. We talked about the fulfilment of his vision, the big run on the Final Four tickets and his hopes for the international summit meeting.

Kaweh, you have been pushing on the club´s progress both sedulously and successfully since more than 25 years. What does it mean to you personally that the Final Four takes place in Berlin this year and thereby in Germany for the first time?

Kaweh Niroomand: After all the years of intense and hard work bringing the club forward, hosting the Final Four is a crucial milestone. In the past I would never have dared dreaming of something like that. The Final Four is the biggest and most import_ant tournament on club level, it is equal to an Olympic or World Cup final. Being the host and furthermore being allowed to participate in the tourney is very special and a great honor. Our club did not just take an easy leap from the small Sömmeringhalle into the Champions League Final Four, instead there has been a continual increase and development during the last years. After winning the German championship three times in a row, the upcoming weekend certainly is an absolute highlight regarding everything we experienced in the last decades.

As it stands at the moment, the Max-Schmeling-Halle will be sold out on both days of the Final Four. Did you expect such a big run on the tickets?

Actually I did not expect it being that huge and especially fast, even if I have wished for it in silence. Berlin is located in the heart of Europe, it is centrally located and easily accessible. We have a fantastic sports facility and from a touristic standpoint, our city is always worth a trip. Of course these are good conditions to address many volleyball fans not only in Germany but on the whole continent and to encourage them to attend the tournament live at the Max-Schmeling-Halle. But I would not have expected that the event would enjoy popularity like this and we would even decide to build up an additional stands. We are all the more happy that our calculation worked out.

On paper our team is the underdog of the tournament. How do you see the chances of the BR Volleys team against the strong rivals from Russia and Poland?

I have watched out team during practice the last days and I have rarely seen them working more focused and concentrated. On paper we may be an underdog, especially against our opponent in the semifinal, Zenit Kazan, a team which supposedly is one of the strongest sides worldwide. But we have proven several times in the past that playing on our home court with our great fans behind us, we are able to play along even with big opponents and that we are a serious opposition. If the team works itself up into a frenzy there will be a big pressure on the opponent. And in our Volleyball Temple everything is possible!

What shall people say about the CEV Volleyball Champions League Final Four in Berlin on the evening of March 29?

Of course I would prefer a double compliment: That it has been the expected Volleyball party with fans from all over Europe and that there has been a surprising winner.

All information on the CEV Champions League Final Four on March, 28-29 in Berlin:

Website | www.berlin2015.br-volleys.de

Facebook | www.facebook.com/CLfinal4

#BerlinRecyclingVolleys #ChampionsLeague201415

0 comments

Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking